Math isn’t always fun and games…but it can be! This DIY Math game is sure to catch your preschooler’s fancy & attention. Today, we are featuring a simple yet fun Math activity for preschoolers, which is powered by this wonderful educational resources website education.com. Counting is one of the most essential skills for preschoolers to acquire in preparation for kindergarten, so let us dive into a hands-on counting activity using DIY flash cards.
ACTIVITY – Count the Suns: Number Flash Cards
Want to make number skills second nature to your child? Try these cheerful, “sunny” number flash cards! As she enjoys the wonders of math, she’ll also get a positive boost from these bright-looking, sun-shaped cards!
Preschoolers (2.5 Years +)
Counting, Reading, Writing
WHAT YOU NEED
- Card stock or other thick paper
- Circle-shaped template (try a large coffee can or the top of a cup)
WHAT TO DO
- Ask your child to describe the shape of the sun to you. Explain that you’ll be making the flash cards in the shape of a circle to look like the sun. If she can, help her trace ten separate circles onto the card stock.
- Next, cut the circles out with scissors. (Most young kids need adult assistance for this step.) Allow her to try cutting on her own first. If she doesn’t get the hang of it right away, simply trace extra circles.
- Now, have her draw a sun shape onto the first circle card. Encourage her to be creative and make rays in different colors, or add in clouds.
- Turn the card over, and help her write the number one.
- Finally, repeat for each number up to ten, making the corresponding number of suns on one side, and then writing the number on the other.
After all ten cards are complete, use these sun-shaped cards to reinforce basic number concepts. Have her count the number of suns on the front of the card, and say the answer aloud. For added fun, make two sets of the cards and play a memory or matching game!
MORE ABOUT EDUCATION.COM
Education.com provides learning resources in over 20 countries and six continents. Their digital resources, tools, and learning materials are developed by educational experts to incorporate leading pedagogical practices. They are useful in any type of teaching moment and many can be used to support national education standards. Their mission is to empower parents and teachers to help their children build essential skills and excel.
Their FREE Math games are interactive drills that work on the same skills as pencil-and-paper practice: counting, numbers, shapes, and basic addition and subtraction. Filled with kooky characters that kids will love, these online math games are a kid’s math practice dream. You can find more such Math games HERE.
If you also have any activities ideas for toddlers / preschoolers / kindergarteners, then we would love to feature them on this blog! Shoot us an email using the contact form HERE along with a brief about you & your idea & we will get in touch with you soon!
Do not forget to follow us on Facebook page & closed Facebook group, Twitter and Instagram for day to day updates that might not always find a place on this blog. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to know more about our early learning journey, DIY & Montessori-inspired activities for kids, kids books & toys reviews and much more!
Hope to see you around. Happy Parenting!