Wondering which books to read to your child? Welcome to this wonderful 10 weeks long project of #MondayMorningReviews where Shital Choudhary, a passionate storyteller & a mom herself, shares children’s book reviews every Monday! The age group for these books is 0-4 years. This review series will help you choose the best books for your baby / toddler / preschooler / kindergartener. This week’s pick is 1001 Words To Talk About. Read on this full book review.
Publisher: Alka Publications
Age: 0-2 years
Wondering why have I placed this book (1001 words) in 0-2 yrs age group?
Let me tell you why and all about it..
The book claims to cover 1001 words (who knows? I have never counted… Because I didn’t buy the book to teach a number of words)
Experience With The Book:
About this… As I see it… (Why I bought the book):
- our family
- wake up time scene
- going to school
- indoor, outdoor play time
- in the kitchen
- at the beach
- at the doctor’s
Each page/topic has a) one big sized illustration for that particular topic b) sentences within the illustration c) questions about the picture d) pics of objects covered in the illustration.
For instance – (See pic) Topic: ‘let’s get dressed’ – ‘father is ironing his trousers’, Ena is combing her hair, etc. Sentences can be read to a toddler while pointing at the pictures.
How to go about:
- First just read out the pictures by reading out sentences written within and add your own sentences if you wish (I did. For eg. I would say Ena was looking at herself in the mirror, there was a yellow round clock above the mirror, etc.)
- Second, play spot Game… ask them to point out objects within illustrations. Eg. Spot an iron, spot a clock, etc.
- Third, at later stage when you have chewed and chomped this book with your toddler and have practically taped each page (like us … oh! very important parameter of judging .. ha ha)
Go on with asking questions suggested on each page.
Don’t buy this book:
- for teaching kids anything
Buy this book:
- to show relatable situations based illustrations and to talk to the kids.
… and be rest assured to achieve what the book is probably intended for by the publishers, that is learning 1001 words more or less.
Source: I bought from a bookstore. However on the book they have given website address, you can check there too. (www.alkapublications.com)
|Book review contributed by Shital Choudhary
Chief Reviewer at Children’s Book Reviews & Stories
Shital Choudhary is a passionate storyteller (a Kathalaya Alumina) and a mom to a 6 year old. Apart from power of stories in teaching concepts and values, she believes that stories can come at your rescue absolutely at any situation in your parenting journey. You can reach out to her at storywayschool [AT] gmail.com. She documents her book reviews, recommendations and reading out experiences at her Facebook page – Children’s Book Reviews & Stories